Thursday, May 6, 2010

Let your Food be your Medicine...

Peace. Hippocrates once said "Let your Food be your medicine and let your medicine be your food." Lately, I have become extremely conscious of the foods and drinks I have been eating. I have about 40lbs that I am still striving to lose and find that they are being really stubborn. So, I started to really do the knowledge to my food intake. Yes, I probably need to go to the gym more than once a month, and maybe take the stairs to the 2nd floor, rather than the elevator. However, I think a refined diet and exercise go hand-in-hand when it comes to weight loss and until I Master what I need to do with my intake, I can then incorporate mastering a physical fitness plan. For the most part, I have drastically changed the way I eat, what I eat, and the amount I consume over the last 9 years... thanks to that change, I have lost a lot of weight. But I find that I've been backsliding a bit into my old habits.

So, lately, I've been reading up and speaking with my sistahs on raw foods, the vegan lifestyle, and just in general, seeking opportunities to better my health, digestion, while decreasing the intake of those foods that are probably causing me the most harm - meat, dairy, startches and carbs (my 4 devil heads). And, as a result, have decided to start a 3-day raw food detox today.

I am a far cry from being an expert or professional on this subject matter, however I chose this to be the topic of my blog this month because sometimes its important to hear from those of us in the baby stages, in transition, who struggle everyday with overall eating issues, as well as finding the right balance of diet for our own body. For instance, I know that for self, I could never go totally raw. I have severe iron-deficiency anemia and would not be able to supplement enough with just various beans, greens, and iron vitamins. However, I may be able to find a balance of raw, vegetarian, and a sporadic, healthy, meat-eating diet (broiled fish, chicken breast, etc.) that could work for my body type, blood type, and health lifestyle.

So, here I am on day one of my detox, striving to get through at least this day. I am learning alot about my body and also about what I can do when I put my mind to it.

PEACE

No comments: